Project status: In progress
How to have YourSay
Thank you for your feedback regarding Coombs Block 3, Section 17. Our engagement activities have now finalised and we are currently preparing the engagement report which will be used to help inform the upcoming release of the land.
We are looking at
Suburban Land Agency (SLA) is preparing to release the final community use land in Coombs. Block 3 Section 17 is zoned community facility land and is located on Madgwick Street next to the Coombs Oval (school oval) and adjacent to Charles Weston School. SLA is currently in the process of subdividing Block 3, Section 17 with a portion of the site committed to the development of a new Residential Treatment Centre for eating disorders. The remaining portion of the site is being prepared for release in the first half of 2023.
With the commitment to developing a residential eating disorder clinic next to this portion of land and in consideration of the services associated with in-house rehabilitation at this facility, ACT Health has advised SLA of particular services and facilities would not be appropriate for the remainder of this site. This includes facilities like health and fitness related services and uses. There are however a range of other uses permissible under the Territory Plan for this site and SLA are interested to hear from the local community what services are currently missing in the area and what you would like to see on this site. These include:
- Business agency
- Childcare centre
- Community activity centre
- Community theatre
- Cultural facility
- Educational establishment
- Emergency services facility
- Health facility
- Place of worship
- Public agency
- Religious associated use
- Residential care accommodation
- Retirement village
- Supportive housing
Community Facilities in Molonglo
Existing facilities in the Molonglo Valley
Several community and recreational facilities have already been established in Coombs and the neighbouring suburb of Wright, these include:
- 2 existing government schools in Coombs and Denman Prospect
- A minimum of 5 future schools/colleges in Wright, Whitlam, Denman Prospect, Molonglo Group Centre and other future suburbs.
- Health and Child Care:
- The Coombs Health Hub Precinct (privately owned) has several tenants across a number of individual premises within.
- Denman Shops has several health tenancies including the Denman Community Centre.
- A childcare centre has opened in Coombs and Denman Prospect
- A Health Facility and Child Care Centre is planned for Diesendorf Street Wright – completion in 2025.
- A new Residential Treatment Centre for eating disorders is planned on the adjacent site – completion in 2024
- Short term rentable space for not-for-profit and community organisations
- Options exist at:
- Stromlo Cottage
- The Community Activity Centre in the Coombs Health Hub
- The Denman Community Centre
- Charles Weston Primary School
- Evelyn Scott School – Denman Prospect
- Options exist at:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is proposed for Block 3, Section 17?
- What is the Residential Treatment Centre for eating disorders and why was Coombs chosen?
- What will the Centre look like?
- When will this site be developed?
- What types of uses are included in Community Facility Zoned land?
- Why are sporting facilities not being considered for this site?
- When is the future development planned for the suburb of Molonglo and will it include Community Facility Zoned land release sites?
We will use your views to
Your views will help to restrict uses in the crown lease, prior to its release to market. The community feedback will be considered in light of compatibility of uses with the adjacent Residential Treatment Centre for eating disorders, and commercial considerations.