Project status: In progress
How you had YourSay
The ACT Government has introduced a new regulation under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 to require all rental homes in the ACT to have a minimum standard of ceiling insulation.
The proposed changes were explored through two community consultations undertaken firstly in May, and then in November and December 2021, as well as through a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS).
In the second community consultation, issues relating to how best to roll out this regulation were explored through a Consultation Paper and we asked Canberrans, in particular, rental providers and renters, as well as key stakeholders to provide feedback on the proposed changes.
A shorter summary page of the consultation paper was prepared for those who wanted a quicker overview of the key issues.
You had your say by:
- Completing the survey for renters or the survey for rental providers
- Providing a submission via email to EPSDDComms@act.gov.au
Comments closed on Sunday 19 December 2021.
The feedback on the Consultation Paper was considered by the ACT Government and informed the drafting of the regulation. A summary of what we heard is available in the Listening Report (phase 2).
A summary report of what was heard as part of the May 2021 community consultation can be found in the Listening Report.
What we are looking at:
The ACT Government has announced that a minimum energy efficiency standard for rental homes around ceiling insulation will be introduced in the Territory.
The regulation will commence on 1 April 2023, with the requirement to meet the standard phased-in with most rental properties in the ACT required to meet the standard by 30 November 2026.
In November and December 2021, we asked all of the Canberra community, especially renters and rental providers, to provide feedback on a number of issues before we introduce the regulation, including on:
- how long the phase in period should be for the new energy efficiency standard
- what financial assistance should be provided
- what safety measures will be required
- when any work should be required to be undertaken, e.g. at the commencement of a lease or at any time in the phase in period.
Many renters in the ACT are living in poor quality housing that is expensive to heat and cool and doesn’t meet our community’s expectation around having a suitable home to help maintain health, comfort, security, and happiness.
By working together to improve the comfort of homes for renters and lowering energy consumption, we can build a smarter, healthier future.
How you had YourSay in early 2021:
In May 2021 we asked renters and rental providers in the ACT to participate in a survey to:
- consider options for minimum energy standards for rental homes
- gather background information on renters and rental owners in the ACT
- gather information regarding energy efficiency in rental properties in the ACT.
Your participation in this survey helped us to understand your views and assisted in informing which option is chosen. You can find out more about what we heard from that round of consultation in the Listening Report.
Protecting your privacy