Project status: In progress
How you had YourSay
The ACT Government is proposing a new regulation to require all rental properties in the ACT to have a minimum standard of ceiling insulation.
The proposed changes were explored through a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) which provided analysis and modelling on various options for a minimum energy efficiency standard.
The government believes that the best first step is to introduce a minimum standard for ceiling insulation and released a Consultation Paper to hear from Canberrans on how best to roll out this regulation.
A shorter summary page on the regulation was prepared to those who want a quicker overview of the key issues.
You had your say by:
- Completing the survey for renters or the survey for rental providers
- Providing a submission via email to EPSDDComms@act.gov.au
Comments closed on Sunday 19 December 2021.
The feedback on the Consultation Paper has been considered by the ACT Government and a summary of what we heard is available to view in the Listening Report (phase 2).
What we are looking at:
The ACT Government has announced that a minimum energy efficiency standard for rental homes around ceiling insulation will be introduced in the territory.
This new standard won’t come into effect until the middle of 2022 and will have a phase-in period of several years to give rental providers plenty of time to make any necessary upgrades in their properties.
We asked all of the Canberra community, especially renters and rental providers, to provide feedback on a number of issues before we introduce the regulation, including on:
- how long the phase in period should be for the new energy efficient standard
- what financial assistance should be provided
- what safety measures will be required
- when any work should be required to be undertaken, e.g. at the commencement of a lease or at any time in the phase in period.
Many renters in the ACT are living in poor quality housing that is expensive to heat and cool, and doesn’t meet our community’s expectation around having a suitable home to help maintain health, comfort, security, and happiness.
By working together to improve the comfort of homes for renters and lowering energy consumption, we can build a smarter, healthier future.
How you had YourSay in early 2021:
In May 2021 we asked renters and rental providers in the ACT to participate in a survey to:
- consider options for minimum energy standards for rental homes
- gather background information on renters and rental owners in the ACT
- gather information regarding energy efficiency in rental properties in the ACT.
Your participation in this survey helped us to understand your views and assisted in informing which option is chosen. You can find out more about what we heard from that round of consultation in the Listening Report.
Protecting your privacy