Project status: In progress
How you had YourSay
Community consultation for the Odgers and Verity Lanes upgrade has now closed. Thank you for providing your feedback to this important project. We are reviewing the feedback and in the coming months we will publish a listening report summarising responses to what we heard.
We are looking at
The historic Sydney and Melbourne Buildings have a special place in the hearts of Canberrans. Built in the early stages of Canberra’s formation, the buildings sit right in the heart of the city centre on either side of the main approach road into the national capital. These buildings are extremely important to Canberra’s history and people. In recognition of this, the ACT Government has tasked the City Renewal Authority (the Authority) to act as the key liaison between government and owners of the iconic Sydney and Melbourne Buildings to encourage and support revitalisation of these significant heritage sites.
Verity and Odgers Lanes provide important functional requirements for businesses in the Sydney and Melbourne Buildings including waste storage and disposal, deliveries, parking and alfresco dining.
Recognising the important role these lanes play to the functionality of the Sydney and Melbourne Buildings and their potential for further activation, the Authority, together with Transport Canberra and City Services, will be upgrading both lanes as part of the broader revitalisation of the Sydney and Melbourne Buildings precincts.
The laneway improvements are designed to:
- help create attractive small-scale spaces people can enjoy when visiting the city centre
- improve safety, connectivity and accessibility by bringing the laneway infrastructure up to modern standards
- reinforce the buildings’ role as a distinctive gateway to the city.
Laneway upgrade planning is
currently underway and is looking at stormwater, drainage infrastructure and laneway
Work to the laneways will involve the following activities:
- Upgrading the sewer and drainage infrastructure.
- Removing trip hazards and improving accessibility with a new asphalt pavement surface to replace the existing ageing asphalt.
- Reconfiguration of loading zones.
- Installation of expanded and elevated islands to protect the plane trees and, for Odgers Lane, accommodate outdoor dining spaces.
- Upgrades to street lighting and installation of decorative lighting in the trees and entry points.
- Plantings along the main entrances to each laneway.
- Proposed introduction of reduced vehicle access to Verity Lane between 11:30am and 2:30pm Monday to Friday, and both lanes during special events and other peak/festive periods to encourage pedestrian movement in the laneways.
Essential works by ICON Water to re-line the sewer in Odgers Lane will begin in November 2021 and conclude in mid-December 2021. Work to ageing stormwater infrastructure in both lanes - which will enable and support upgrades to the laneway surfaces - will commence in April 2022. These works will significantly help to improve the appearance and longevity of the laneways. All construction works in the laneways are anticipated to be finished by late 2022.
The essential stormwater works will be done as part of the ACT Government’s 2021-22 Budget infrastructure package and will directly support the long-term preservation of the buildings.
Draft plan: Odgers Lane
Draft plan: Verity Lane
We will use your views to
The levels of participation indicated below are based on the International Association for Public Participation's Spectrum of Public Participation. We are engaging community, business and property owners on these issues:
- Consulting you to refine the final design of both laneways.
- Involving you in determining the times of vehicle access.
- Involving you in determining the lighting periods.