Project status: Closed
About this project
How to have YourSay
The improvements will bring the Phillip District Enclosed Oval, located on the corner of Ainsworth Street and Albermarle Place, in line with other high-quality enclosed facilities in the ACT, such as Greenway Oval and Gungahlin Oval.
The community has been asked to consider the realignment of the site boundary, which is required to allow for the preferred location of the new community sports pavilion.
The Phillip District Enclosed Oval - What We Heard Report summarising feedback from the community is now available from the Document Library.
Phillip District Enclosed Oval - Upgrade designs
We are looking at
This project will see an investment of $7.5 million in sport and recreational facilities within the Woden Valley.
The project scope will include:
- the construction of a new (stand-alone) pavilion that will include a community area, a kiosk, changerooms, general-purpose rooms, amenities and associated functional areas (i.e. storage);
- the refurbishment of the existing Michael O’Connor grandstand;
- the installation of new LED sportsground lighting to support night-time match play use;
- the construction of new maintenance facilities (i.e. storage shed); and
- general oval upgrades.
Upon completion of the works, all changerooms will be fully compliant with the ACT Government’s Female Friendly changeroom requirements.
The ACT government will be seeking a Technical Amendment to the
Territory Plan to adjust the site boundary in the southwest corner of the site,
allowing the necessary space required to locate the new pavilion.
Design development and construction is being undertaken in
consultation with key sporting user groups such as the Royals Rugby Union
Football Club, Canberra Region Rugby League, Woden Valley Rams Rugby League Club, Weston Creek Molonglo Cricket Cluband Cricket ACT. A presentation to the Woden Valley Community Council was provided on 6 October 2021.
As our city grows, we are committed to delivering more sporting facilities to help Canberrans stay active, healthy and engaged in the sports they love.
We will use your views to
Your feedback will assist in the design of the upgrades to the Phillip District Enclosed Oval.
Phillip District Enclosed Oval - Location
- What is the Phillip District Enclosed Oval project all about?
- What is the overall budget for the project?
- What works are proposed as part of the upgrade of the Phillip District Enclosed Oval?
- What is the preferred location of the new community sports pavilion?
- Will the project require planning approvals?
- What sports will the upgraded facility cater for?
- Will carparking be considered as part of the project?
- What impact will there be on traffic once the facility has been upgraded?
- Is sportsground lighting going to impact residents?
- Will trees be removed during construction of the facility?
- Will the new changerooms be female-friendly?
- Will the facility have commercial amenities like cafes and shops?