Where to find help?

  • If you are in the care of an institution in the ACT and have concerns about your treatment, and feel comfortable doing so, you should speak to a manager.
  • If your concerns relate to an ACT Government health service, you can also provide feedback by filling out and submitting this form here

If you are not comfortable speaking to the institution or they have not resolved your issue, you can make a complaint to the ACT Human Rights Commission. The ACT Human Rights Commission can consider complaints about the abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable people with a disability. This can include complaints against caregivers. The Human Rights Commission can investigate complaints, and work with you and the other person to try and fix the issue. This does not have to involve police. You can ring the Human Rights Commission on 02 6205 2222 for a confidential conversation or submit a complaint online here.

f you wish to report a crime, you should contact ACT Policing by calling 131 444 or visiting your local police station. If you are in an emergency or life-threatening situation, call Triple Zero (000).

  • You can talk to both the ACT Human Rights Commission and ACT Policing to find out how they might handle your case and to work out which option is best for you.

Support services

1800RESPECT is the national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service, and provides support for people experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, violence and abuse, their friends and family, and professionals. Please call1800 737 732 to discuss your needs with a qualified counsellor or visit their website here.

ACT Disability, Aged and Carer Advocacy Service (ADACAS) is a human rights-based organisation that provides free individual advocacy, information and advice to people with disability, people experiencing mental ill health, older people and carers. Their advocates can assist you to understand the new laws. ADACAS is located at Unit 14/6 Gritten Street, Weston ACT 2611 and you can contact them on (02) 6242 5060 or by email at adacas@adacas.org.au. More information about ADACAS can be found at: http://adacas.org.au/.

Advocacy for Inclusion provides individual, self and systemic advocacy for people with disabilities who live in the ACT. Their advocates can assist you with further informationabout the new laws, to get help or to make a complaint or report. Advocacy for Inclusion is located at Suite 2.02 Griffin Centre, 20 Genge Street, Canberra ACT 2601 and can be contacted on (02) 6257 4005 or by email at info@advocacyforinclusion.org. More information can be found at: https://www.advocacyforinclusion.org/.

Consumer Law Centre and Care can offer assistance if you think you have been subjected to financial abuse. You can contact the Consumer Law Centre on (02) 6143 0044 or online at: https://www.carefcs.org/contact.

The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a free, independent and confidential service for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disability. To make a report, contact the Hotline on 1800 880 052 or send an email to hotline@workfocus.com. More information can be found at: https://www.jobaccess.gov.au/complaints/hotline.

Victim Support ACT provides a range of services to people who are victims of crime. You can contact Victim Support ACT on 1800 822 272 or online here.

Legal assistance

To obtain legal assistance, you can contact the Legal Aid ACT Helpline on 1300 654 314. The Legal Aid ACT Helpline can provide legal information and organise appointments for free legal advice.