Project status: Closed
How you had YourSay:
Design work is progressing for improvements along Sulwood Drive that will improve safety and access both for residents and visitors to the Mount Taylor Nature Reserve.
From 10 June until 9 July 2021 we asked the community to take a look at the design and email us their thoughts on the proposed improvements. We also held a pop-up at the Mount Taylor Nature Reserve on Saturday 19 June 2021.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback to the project team via email on the proposed improvements. The What We Heard report summarising the feedback received during the consultation period is now available.
We are looking at:
In 2018 the ACT Government converted part of the verge along Sulwood Drive in Kambah into a formalised carpark, replacing the rutted dirt surface with graded, recycled asphalt and created defined entry and exit points for safer access and egress for parking.
The Government has since been monitoring traffic and undertook a feasibility study on further safety improvements, including crossings for pedestrians and cyclists.
Key features of the designs
- A new four-kilometre long and three-metre wide asphalt, off-road path on the southern side of Sulwood Drive between Drakeford Drive and Athllon Drive, improving access for Kambah residents both to the Mount Taylor Nature Reserve and to the local Wanniassa shops. This new off-road shared path will also include safety barriers where required.
- Traffic lights at the intersection of Mannheim Street and Sulwood Drive.
- Changes to the entry and exit points, as well as a safe right-turn into the carpark.
We will use your views to:
Your feedback will be used to finalise the design for construction.
The project team has reviewed all feedback and will be individually responding to those who asked questions as part of the engagement process.
The Government will be proceeding with the design as presented to the community. However, the following changes will be made as we move to finalise the designs:
- in response to the feedback received, the missing link on Mannheim Street between Mackay Crescent and Sulwood Drive will be delivered with this project
- additional tree planting will, where possible, be focused on the sections of the path that move up on top of the earth mound.
Still to be finalised are:
- a landscaping plan which will include the trees for removal, how they will be offset and where additional plantings can take place
- determination of the provision of an acceleration lane for traffic joining Sulwood Drive eastbound and a right-turn exiting the carpark onto Sulwood Drive westbound
- the exact alignment of the shared path on the southern side of Sulwood Drive; minimising the impacts on the existing mature trees where possible.
In the 2021-22 ACT Budget, funding was provided to progress the project through detailed design and construction. Detailed design is currently underway. From 7 February 2022 for approximately six weeks (weather permitting) the community may notice some survey geotechnical works underway along Sulwood Drive. This is part of the design process and is not associated with construction of the project.