Project status: In progress
How to have YourSay
How to have YourSay
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the preliminary designs and proposed parking changes. Feedback closed 31 August 2022.
We are currently reviewing feedback and look forward to providing an update later this year.
The ACT Government is progressing
with design work for a second stage of improvements to Brierly Street adjacent
to Cooleman Court in Weston.
In mid-2021 we checked in with the local community and undertook further engagement to gather ideas and feedback on improvements people would like to see to Brierly Street and the surrounding areas. This feedback was aligned with what had previously been heard, the main themes being more trees and landscaping, improved pedestrian safety and better amenities including lighting.
Following targeted stakeholder engagement with local businesses and community groups, we prepared preliminary designs for discussion with the community in July and August 2022.
We also proposed changes to timed parking restrictions at Cooleman Court to make it easier for you to find a park.
You provided feedback by:
- completing the survey under the 'Design' tab
- completing the short survey under the 'Parking' tab
- attending a pop-up at Cooleman Court on Thursday 25 August from 10.30 am to 12.30 pm.
- emailing your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feedback closed 11.59pm Wednesday 31 August 2022
We are looking at
Cooleman Court is a busy, vibrant centre providing a range of shops and services. The centre was developed in the 1970s with the architecture reflecting this period.
Brierly Street improvements
Key themes heard during feedback in mid-2021 were:
- improved amenities along Brierly Street including better seating, wider verges, lighting and more greenery
- improved pedestrian safety with changes suggested for Brierly Street including wider verges, lower speed limits and safer crossing opportunities
- more opportunities for outdoor dining, including paving improvements to enable this.
We have used this feedback and feedback from stakeholder engagement to create preliminary designs.
We have heard concerns from the community about the decline in availability of parking at Cooleman Court. Whilst this is expected to be temporary, with development of the Molonglo Group Centre to reduce pressure, in the meantime we are proposing a number of changes to parking arrangements to encourage greater turnover and make it easier for you to find a parking space.
We will use your views to
Feedback received during this engagement period will assist in finalising the designs ahead of construction procurement for improvements to Brierly Street. Your feedback about parking changes will assist in determining what options are progressed.
Updates will continue to be provided via this page. If you have any questions about this project or would like to be kept updated on its progress, please email email@example.com.
What you told us you’d like to see
- More greenery and trees
- More spaces for outdoor dining
- Improved seating
- Better lighting, particularly on the pedestrian crossings
- Improved pedestrian safety including wider verges, lower speed limits and more pedestrian crossing opportunities
- Family friendly spaces with more areas for play
- Paving improvements for pedestrian safety and complementing outdoor dining and other uses of the sidewalks
- Create a recognisable place character.
How we have used your feedback
- More greenery has been added throughout the space through trees and planting including more deciduous street trees along Brierly Street
- More places have been created for the community to stop and stay with extra consideration given to making sure those spaces are comfortable and inviting.
- Improvements to the existing seating in Trenerry Square to ensure it is more comfortable, practically arranged and therefore results in an increased use of the space.
- Better pedestrian connectivity with two new crossings.
- Improvements have been made to lighting, with new light poles included in the design.
- A slower traffic environment through the widening of the verges in sections of Brierly Street which in turn has reduced the width of the road.
- ‘Garden rooms’ have been created – as the trees grow they will form the structure, we’ve furnished the rooms with seating and added layers of green with garden beds.
- There are more spaces for alfresco dining for restaurants to consider expanding into.
These improved spaces are depicted in the impressions below. Please note these are indicative only.
The preliminary designs are also available to view in the Document Library.
Parking availability at Cooleman Court has been identified as a concern by the local community. Whilst this is expected to be temporary, with development of the Molonglo Group Centre to reduce pressure, in the meantime the ACT Government are proposing a number of changes to parking arrangements to encourage greater turnover and make it easier for you to find a parking space.
The following changes have been proposed to parking arrangements at Cooleman Court:
- extend existing Monday to Friday parking restrictions to include Saturday as well, noting the higher demand on Saturdays
- implement two hour parking restrictions on Watling Place
- convert Commons Court all-day parking to two hour parking restrictions
- convert Macleod Court all-day parking to two hour parking restrictions.
The map below identifies where the new two-hour parking restrictions are to be implemented. In the Document Library we've included a map showing where available parking is at the Cooleman Court Group Centre.