Project status: In Progress
We are looking at
When you engage with a property developer or an entity undertaking development activity, you should be confident they have the experience and capacity to complete a quality project as well as being competent, transparent, ethical and accountable.
An effective building and construction regulatory system is important for the health, safety and wellbeing of our community.
The ACT Government is committed to introducing greater accountability measures for property developers. We are seeking community and industry views on the Developer Regulation Discussion Paper to inform the development of such measures.
The discussion paper
The discussion paper is informed by previous inquiries, stakeholder engagement, government reports, media reports, academic literature and a jurisdictional review.
The paper identifies four main focus areas:
- Accountability and transparency
- Ethical behaviour and work practices
- Project capacity and capability – financial and operational
- Building quality and safety
The paper includes an analysis of matters identified as relevant to each focus area. Each matter includes a clear issue statement, a summary of what we have heard from the community, industry and stakeholders, and research undertaken by the government. For a quick overview of these issues and focus areas, check out the Developer Regulation - Issues Summary document.
The discussion paper considers various options for improving the accountability of developers and providing consumers with greater information about developments and the developers behind them. These options include:
- a licensing/registration scheme
- a disclosure scheme
- accountability for rectification works
Some options may be complementary and could be implemented together. For a quick overview of these options, check out the Developer Regulations - Summary of Options document.
How you had YourSay
You provided feedback on the discussion paper in three different ways:
- The quick poll in the sidebar on this page
- The survey, which reflects the questions in the discussion paper
- Email submissions to EPSDDBuildingReform@act.gov.au.
Consultation closed at 10am on Monday 27 February 2023. The Listening Report outlines what we heard during consultation.
If you have any questions about this project or the discussion paper, please contact the Building Reform Team at EPSDDBuildingReform@act.gov.au.
Which developer regulation focus area is most important to you?
This poll has concluded.
We are using your views to
Following community and stakeholder engagement, we will develop a framework that:
- provides greater accountability for property developers within the building and construction industry
- holds property developers to account for the matters over which they have influence or control
- enhances consumer trust and confidence in the building and construction industry
- shapes behaviour and supports a robust, efficient, and professional building and construction industry
- improves the quality of buildings in the ACT
- avoids unnecessary regulatory duplication, burden and cost
- complements existing regulatory settings.
Where individual feedback is used to inform government decisions, it will de-identified. More information about how we handle and store the information you provide to us is available on the ACT Government website: Privacy - Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate - Planning (act.gov.au)