Key features of the Haig Park Community Centre designs
Integrated with the landscape
- The centre is intended to open out to the landscape, extending into a semi-covered courtyard, which bridges the indoor spaces and surrounding park spaces.
- An irrigated ‘village lawn’, nature play space for toddlers, an entry/gathering area as well as outdoor meeting spaces are proposed as integral elements of the ‘village type’ design for the community’s enjoyment.
- The centre integrates with the parkland and can serve as a setting for a range of events during the day and evenings, including a small performance space facing onto the park.
Activating the park and building community
- The building will be a key ‘activator’ in the park, supporting community connections and improving safety through passive surveillance, with internal lighting that transforms the centre into a beacon, or lantern, drawing people in from the park.
- By providing a destination within the park, the centre will foster a sense of belonging and community stewardship of the park.
Working with the park’s heritage and sustainability
- This location aligns with the Haig Park Conservation Management Plan, complementing and respecting the heritage value of the trees and park.
- Applying adaptive reuse and placemaking principles, the former depot building is being re-purposed as a meeting / wet workshop space as part of the Authority’s sustainability initiative.
Site layout and landscaping
Key features of the landscaping
- New outdoor plaza and outdoor workshop area
- Landscaping nodes that may include decomposed gravel paving with BBQ, picnic setting, drinking fountains, bike racks and bench seating
- New lawn irrigated with rainwater harvested from roof
- New entry connection to outdoor plaza and proposed buildings
- Refurbished existing depot building as wet workshop
- Proposed building with multipurpose rooms
- Potential nature play space
Key features of the building design
- Workshop wet area
- Utility room with bin storage
- Ambulant toilets
- Pergolas connecting buildings
- Multipurpose room
- Small meeting/consultation rooms
- Accessible toilet
- Informal stage area