Before we selected the green space adjacent to Canberra Technology Park in Watson for the proposed new inner north play space, we explored a variety of other options.
Ten potential sites were identified across the inner north for a destination style play space.
Of the 10 potential sites, the Watson location was the only one that met all the criteria for the proposed new inner north play space, including:
- suitable zoning
- suitable land size
- opportunity to provide car parking
- located within good proximity to existing and future transport networks, including the Phillip Avenue light rail station and future Garden City cycle route
- shops and services within close walking distance.
Location of proposed inner north play space
10 sites were investigated including:
- Corroboree Park, Ainslie
- Corner Cowper and Antill Streets, Dickson
- Dickson floodway (behind Daramalan College), Dickson
- Dutton Street Playground, Dickson
- Melba Street Park, Downer
- Hackett Sportgsround tree buffer, Hackett
- North Lyneham open space, North Lyneham
- Sullivans Creek open space, Lyneham
- Turner parkland, Turner
- Academy of Interactive Entertainment green space, Watson
Read more about the site analysis.