Project status: Closed
Garema Place upgrade
The ACT Government has commenced the transformation of Garema Place and recently sought community input on proposed designs.
The upgrade will create a modern, exciting dining and retail precinct in the City Centre, with proposed features including:
- increased green space and tree cover
- less clutter and improved pedestrian flow
- better accessibility, lighting, and other safety features
- more outdoor dining opportunities.
We want to keep the parts that Canberrans know and love about Garema Place, while also meeting our city’s growing needs.
The project – which builds on recent City Walk upgrades – is about creating a thriving central meeting place that drives social and economic activity in the City Centre.
We are looking at
Building on preliminary consultation with nearby property owners, the Authority sought feedback from property owners, businesses, and the community on the proposed design concept for the upgrade of Garema Place.
This was to:
- better understand community views
- gather feedback on the proposed designs
- identify unforeseen issues and opportunities.