Project status: Closed
Garema Place upgrade
The ACT Government is planning to transform Garema Place and recently sought feedback on proposed designs.
The upgrade will create a modern and exciting dining and retail precinct in the City Centre, with proposed features including:
- Accessible single-level pavement and easier pedestrian flow
- Better lighting to create a safer and more appealing precinct in the evenings
- Improved seating and outdoor dining spaces to enjoy food and drink from local businesses
- Trees and gardens to cool the space in summer and let the sunshine through in winter
- An open and versatile space that supports both special events and everyday activities.
We want to keep the parts that Canberrans know and love about Garema Place, while also meeting our city’s growing needs.
The project – which builds on recent City Walk upgrades – is about creating a thriving central meeting place that drives economic activity in the City Centre.
The survey is now closed, with a summary of feedback to be shared in mid-2023.
We are looking at
Building on preliminary consultation with nearby property owners, the recent survey sought feedback from property owners, businesses, and the community on the proposed design for the upgrade of Garema Place.
The input will help us to:
- better understand community views
- gather feedback on the proposed designs
- identify unforeseen issues and opportunities.
We will use your views to
Your views will be taken into consideration when making final changes to the design.
Garema Place upgrade survey