Location Selection Process
Within Lyons there are four play spaces. To determine the preferred location for upgrade, a two-stage process was undertaken. Community feedback will also help inform the preferred play space for an upgrade.
How were play spaces analysed in stage one?
All play spaces were considered in the first stage of location selection.
A number of factors were considered including:
- accessibility of the play space location to the greatest number of residents
- proximity of the play space to other facilities including local shops and popular community hubs
- number of community requests received for improvements
- anecdotal evidence regarding the frequency of use.
This information on each play space created a shortlist of two play spaces. These were the play spaces in the open space between Devonport Street and Longford Street and at the Lyons Oval near Ulverstone Street. Additionally, it was identified the play space at Lyons Oval could benefit from being relocated to the adjacent side of the oval. This was a third option considered in stage two.
The below map identifies each play space in Lyons. It's also available as a PDF for downloading.
How were shortlisted play spaces assessed in stage two?
The shortlisted play spaces were assessed against specific criteria (detailed in the matrix below) for suitability for upgrading. This criteria included:
- block size suitability
- how the land is zoned
- complementary uses, such as proximity to other community facilities
- access, including active travel and public transport availability
- parking opportunities
- existing amenities (toilets, bins, furniture, water refill stations)
- existing landscape elements and climate
- landform (steepness of site, drainage).
The below matrix details how each play space rated against the suitability criteria. This is also available as a PDF for downloading.
Overall, the relocation of the play space at the Lyons Oval to the adjacent side of the playing fields has been identified as the preferred option for a play space upgrade in Lyons to connect to the local community path network and provide a play space within easy walking distance to shops and the café. In addition the relocation will allow the play space to move from beneath power lines. Further benefits of the relocated play space are:
- co-location with playing field
- opportunity to relocate existing play space from beneath powerlines
- close proximity to primary school, local shops and associated parking
- close to bus stops and on the local community path network
- suitable to develop elements of a community recreation space over time in close proximity to the Woden Town Centre while also serving the residents of Lyons.